Wednesday, October 13, 2010

We're bakin' another Akin!

Well, I guess that I'm the one who's doing most of the bakin', but you know what I mean. :) Words cannot begin to express our excitement. As you know, our last pregnancy was such a roller coaster ride. Because of our experiences, we decided not to go in for an early ultrasound. Last time, all that did was make us worry. Even if we had gone in early again, and had seen that something was wrong, there wouldn't have been a thing the doctor could have done to fix it. So, we decided to wait and let the baby develop as much as possible and go in when we knew we should hear a heartbeat. We didn't want to risk hearing the doctor or ultrasound tech say, "Well, we don't hear a heartbeat. That could mean that something is wrong, or everything could be fine. Come in next week and we'll see if anything has changed." NO thank you! And, boy are we glad we waited! We were expecting to see a blob, but we saw a BABY! A real person, with a brain, a heartbeat, feet and arms! It was truly amazing. The Akins are leading revival this week at our home church, Harp's Crossing, and Nick was able to announce it last night to the congregation. After the announcement, they sang "I Stand in Awe of You." No song could have been more fitting. I am so in awe of
God and this miracle that He created! He is so good! We were ALL fearfully and wonderfully made!

Now, for the update on all things pregnancy related...

The baby's due date is May 10th. This put me at 10 weeks yesterday, which we knew by my calculations. The ultrasound tech measured the baby and he/she measured right at 10 weeks! Perfect! A May 10th baby means that I get to be huge on my April 30th birthday. Yay! :) What a great birthday present!

The heart was beating loudly at 169 bpm. Good and strong!

We put this baby in God's hands the minute we saw the plus sign on the pregnancy test, but there was still some worry and concern until we saw the baby for ourselves. But, deep down, I knew that everything was going to be okay because my symptoms have been in overdrive! The inaccurately called "morning" sickness has been "all day" sickness. I'm grateful for each bout of nausea though. For some reason, they say that the more morning sickness you have, the less likely you are to miscarry. So, as unpleasant as it has been, I thank God for it!

I AM showing! I actually started showing at 8 weeks! I don't know if it's just bloat or if it's from the baby, but there is no hiding it! I wore one of the loosest shirts I own the other night when we went shopping and the cashier called me "mama." So, it's definitely there! My pants don't fit well anymore, but I'm still not quite ready for maternity clothes.

Below are a couple of ultrasound pictures! The first one is a good full body shot. You can see arms and legs. It (I HATE calling it an "it!") looks like it's floating around in there! The second one is my favorite. I had NO idea that at 10 weeks, the baby would have feet! But, look at that tiny foot! Also in the second one, you can see the brain! Our kid is going to be so smart! :)




And thanks to my precious friend, Sybil McGhee for the lovely banner to match my blog! She did such a great job! I love it! Speaking of Sybil, the button on the right side of my blog for Thrifty Montgomery, is Sybil's blog! It's amazing and you should check it out! I've gotten so many great freebies because of it! Love you Sybil!



9 comments:

  1. YAY I'M SOOOOOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! (and Nick too of course). And a May baby even better! I haven't seen you in so long so let's plan for lunch one day soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats sweetie! That's such great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks be to God! I couldn't be any happier for this wonderful blessing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should we call it a God thing that tonight I was sitting here and thought to myself I should check your blog. God is so faithful sweet girl, and I will contine to life you, Nick, and this sweet girl up in my prayers. So glad to hear this news. Congrats Jules!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you guys! I've been praying. My hubby Chris and your hubby went to youth group together at Harps. Way to go on saying no thanks to that early ultrasound - I totally agree, it's just better to wait until there's a sure chance of seeing something! Continue to trust that mama's intuition the Lord gives us. It will all be worth it in the end! Let me know if you are interested in anything to do with natural childbirth. I teach classes and could help you find resources for reading, etc. Again, congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you guys! I'll be praying for an easy and safe pregnancy for you! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for all of you! I'm Nancy Morse from ESBC, and found your blog by way of your mom.

    (I'm Fancy Horse on the internet because it rhymes with my name.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to you both! Glad to hear the great news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all SO much for the sweet comments! I really appreciate all the congrats, prayers and well wishes!

    Lindsey, thank you so much for offering to give advice on natural childbirth! I will definitely keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete